Friday, February 1, 2019

Comfort food....

Today I'm posting about comfort food. I think we look at the delicious comfort food we grew up with and think - butter, flour, milk! They're bad for me! But, I've discovered a lot of my childhood comfort foods are not that bad for you. We look at the ingredients and not the dish as a whole and also - portion control. So tonight I'm revisiting one of my favorites - cream dried beef. I've seen a lot of hate for this dish online (also called SOS) but the version I had growing up was delicious, and inexpensive (and had veggies!). 

Tonight I made this for dinner with:
1/2 stick of butter
1/4 c flour
2 cups of 2% milk
1 package Budding meats (judge me, but this is how it is supposed to taste!)
1 cup of frozen peas
salt and pepper
toast (I did use low calorie 35 calorie a slice, whole grain bread)

And you know what...one serving was 312 calories (including two slices of bread)! Warm, creamy, salty nostalgia for 312 calories!  And since I'm trying to be both healthy and frugal - and the frugal is hard because I stock up when things are cheap and forget what I paid - but 1/2 stick of butter (.35), a bit of flour (no clue..), maybe .50 of peas (max), .30 of milk, .66 of bread,  and .56 for the package of corned beef...so let's round up and say $2.50 for the recipe for four servings - .63 a serving! That's pretty frugal and low calorie...and delicious and comforting! (It's a bad picture but I was hungry!)

No comments:

Post a Comment