Friday, January 29, 2016

$1 over budget

There hasn't been any cooking, or much eating, the last few days. I'm definitely fighting some virus. I didn't even bake what I planned last night, so it will go in the over tonight. 

I came home from work early today, and even though my plan had been to not go to the store so I wouldn't go over budget - but they had eggs for .88 a dozen! How could I pass that up (yesterday and today only). While I was there I decided to buy barley (more on that in a bit) for beef barley soup. Then, I couldn't remember if I had any beef broth at home, so I bought a box of that just to be safe since I plan to make it this weekend. I picked up a few other things I didn't need but might want this weekend. If I make tamales, I need margarine. And more cheese. And cheese was on sale too. I'm almost out of flour so if I want to make bread or bake, I needed flour. I also want to try making the Chevy's corn tomalito, and I didn't know if I had a bag of frozen corn (and it was only $1 - that was my budget breaker!). And a house isn't a home without ripening bananas in the fruit bowl to eventually turn into banana bread. I got quite a few groceries for $14 though, so it's not too bad. 

Since there isn't much cooking to tell you about - how about a few things I have noticed that are weird in grocery stores? While I was looking through the ad the other week they had cod loins on sale. Those that don't know me outside of this blog don't know that my degree is in marine science. I took vertebrate zoology from an ichthyologist. I'm pretty sure cod do not have loins. I had to Google this and here's what I found (http://www.greatbritishchefs.com/how-to-cook/how-to-cook-cod-loin): 
As cod can be a large fish, the fillet is often too big for a single portion. It is therefore possible to buy the cod loin, which is cut from the middle section or fattest part of the fillet. Succulent loins are short and fat compared to longer cod fillets and they are considered the prime cut.   
There's interesting fact number one. Number two - where do you think barley is located in the grocery store? Grain (rice, quinoa, couscous)? Cereals (oatmeal, grits, cream of wheat)? No...it's with boullion.  

Hopefully there will be more cooking updates soon...and baking. All this cooking has made it hard to bake but maybe I will make something this weekend.

1 comment:

  1. I never thought barley would be anywhere but with the rice. It just makes sense that way. Now I know where to look if I ever decide to buy it, thanks!

    ReplyDelete