Sunday, January 31, 2016

Baking happened!

I should have gone into work today, but I decided if I had already spent 50+ hours in the office for the week and I hadn't gotten everything done...it could just wait. I did much baking and cooking though. Pizza dough. Pizza sauce. Enchilada sauce. Cilantro lime rice. Alfajores. And all the accompanying things. Let's see, I started with pizza dough, since it takes a while. But then I was hungry and needed lunch. I made egg drop soup and rice, heated up an egg roll from the freezer and added some mandarin orange green tea. I stirred the egg a little too quickly, but it was good anyway. Then I finally tackled something I have wanted to try for a while - I turned sweetened condensed milk into dulce de leche. I've wanted to do this but I didn't want to explode a can of sugary dairy product all over my kitchen. But, I did some reading and decided to try it. I followed the directions, leaving the can on it's side with at least an inch of water over the top. I let it simmer for about 3.5 hours. But, I don't think I had it at a high enough simmer. It was good, but a medium gold color. Not as dark as I wanted for my alfajore cookies, but it worked. That took a long time, so while that cooked, I made cilantro lime rice, enchilada sauce, and pizza sauce. Then I made pizza for dinner. And then I made my cookies (okay, I made the dough before dinner so it could sit in the fridge). This is the recipe I used:  http://delishhh.com/2013/01/07/alfajores-with-dulce-de-leche/. They're good. The cookies remind me of the white cookies I make at Christmas and then a super sweet filling. It seems like I did more today, but maybe not. Time to put lunch together and go to bed.






No comments:

Post a Comment